Saturday, September 27, 2008

Thursday Night

Well that was fun. The event held by IEP actually ended up being in a different bar than I though, about a 35 minute walk away from the hostel. So I googled up the walking instructions and wrote them down in a message on my mobile. As I was leaving the hostel I thought to myself, maybe I should have gone with some people. But since I don't really know anyone yet, I ventured out alone. As I got closer and closer to the bar I realized that walking instructions generally give the shortest routes, not the safest ones. I should have stayed on the main streets. Once I saw a past-her-prime prostitute and an old man with a big black dog, I started to feel a bit scared. Thankfully by then I was already pretty close to the bar, and just quickened my step a bit.

The bar is called The World Bar. Some IEP coordinators were there already, at 8pm. I was actually the only one that came there early. I now realize it's not cool to leave so early. Next time I'll remember to show up late like everyone else! The beer I tried was not Fosters, like many people outside Australia think Australians drink. It's actually made largely for export. The beer I drank was Coopers and Carlton Draught. Pretty good stuff. After a while I started to lose count of how many I had had! I had some good conversations with other international students/travelers, but had to shout really loud over the music. They also passed around 'tea pots', with I don't know what was inside, but you basically pour them into shot glasses. At 12 I left and stumbled on home. It had been a pretty great night.

So today I guess I'm going to Manly. I'm not sure how we're getting there but we should figure it out. Again I don't have the camera with me so I don't have any pictures to post yet, but I will as soon as I can.

_J

No comments:

Post a Comment