Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Here I Am!

So after about 20 hours in the air, I am finally in Sydney, Australia. So far I've just got a room and walked around the city a bit. It's awesome hearing all the crazy accents. I only have a small amount of computer time so I try to make the best of it. It's on a mac too, so I have to learn some new commands.

The worst part of the trip was the 14 hours from LA to Sydney. It was just dark outside the whole time, with the sun behind us. It finally caught up to us when we were about to land, so we got to see the Sydney Opera House and some of the other famous landmarks from the sky. It's too bad I didn't take any pictures, but I promise I will make some as soon as possible.

I met some Norwegians in my hostel room. They are backpacking for real across Eastern Australia, and were headed to Brisbane to try out surfing. The Norwegian language is very interesting, sort of sing-songy German or something, very hard to describe. I didn't understand anything so it's safe to say the language is pretty far from German. I was talking to the guy and drifting in and out of consciousness the whole time, so it was sort of interesting. I fell asleep for real about 3pm and woke up at 5am, so 14 hours of quality sleep time!

Now I have to start getting into high gear and looking for a spot to stay. Hostel will only last me so long before I get tired of sharing a room with others. Job might be fun if I'm looking for something substantial, so I might end up just taking a typical backpacker job like harvesting or something.

Basically everything looks like a big city here, nothing too interesting to report on that front. It's a combination of European and American styles, and of course the cars drive on the wrong side of the street. It's unfortunate I didn't get an international driving license, cause then I'd be able to drive around with more freedom than taking a train or bus or plane somewhere.
Next update I'll try to put some pics up hopefully.

Until then, goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment