Thursday, November 20, 2008

New place & trip

So I moved into a new place on Monday. The guy told me I needed to move in right away because there was a queue of people waiting to get it and he chose me over all of them! Well that's a good feeling... i guess. It is about 30-40 minutes closer to work than my previous place so I am glad for that, even though the cost is a bit higher. I also don't have TV here but I may remedy that. Only thing is, if I'm going to buy a TV, I will buy an HDTV, not some crummy analog piece of crap. That's just how I am, I either go big or nothing! In fact as I was leaving the apartment with my stuff I lent my movies to another housemate, and she offered me some divx episodes of Dexter. I had to decline because they just weren't up to my quality standards. I have really become a big eh-hole snob with my HD requirements, haven't I? It's quite sick really.

They are a lovely Chinese couple who have lived in Australia for about 20 years now. When I agreed to take the place on Sunday he invited me to bring my suitcase with me on the train and drive me the rest of the way to the house to sign the lease agreement and all that. Also to have lunch with him and his wife. So I did, and we had chinese food at a restaurant/club. I came in my thongs and they are strict about dress code there, so I had to rummage through my suitcase and put on my dress shoes. I looked pretty silly with dress shoes and shorts on. The food was pretty good but I am generally not a fan of chinese food. Not sure why, just not my thing. But it was nice of him to buy my lunch, most landlords don't do that. We talked a lot about the differences between Australia and Canada and things of that nature. After that we went and I signed a 3-Month lease, so I guess I made my decision and am STAYING HERE for a little bit longer. A lot of my friends predicted this already so it shouldn't come as a big surprise. I emailed Canada Customs and they told me I can extend my Permanent Resident with some paperwork so I should be fine in that area. I can even send them the paperwork in the mail and don't have to take a day off to do any of it, which is nice. I figured a job like this doesn't come around often and I can really save up some money here to invest in the future.

Anyway this new place is about 3 minutes walk from a fresh produce place, the train station, and a regular grocery store. How sweet is that? It is SUPER SWEET, that's how it is. I am living with about 3-4 people, the guy actually made up little sheds in his backyard for people to rent from him. He must make a ton of cash! Just set up a few shacks and you're golden. Me and a Chilean dude are closer to the house though, on a higher level. I had to buy all my own utensils too and I forgot to buy a glass. As I went to the kitchen at night and turned the light on there were two cockroaches sipping up the leftover Pepsi I had poured into the sink. So I gotta be careful and clean up after myself really well in this place. Those bugs just give me the CREEPS big time!

So on Thursday morning I am heading over to Adelaide to visit my cousin and his family. As far as I know his siblings and parents live in a town about 45mins east from there called Lobethal, but I will probably not go visit them unless something is arranged. I might later on in late 2008 or 2009. The plane ticket cost me $314 AUD return from Jetstar, which I think is decent enough. It turns out though I had thought my flight was at 6:15pm, because they weren't clear on the itinerary. But when I checked this morning on Sydney's Departure Schedule (pronounced SH not SK), I discovered it was in the morning! So I will have to head back to my old place in Ultimo so I can make my flight in time, since trains don't leave early enough where I live now to make it.

So basically I am in Adelaide until Sunday morning, and then I will go back to Sydney. I know it's only 3 days but I figured WHY NOT. My sister was originally going to come but she backed out because of work commitments. It will be very interesting living in my new place with my own room (finally). My snoring was keeping my sister up and the mosquitos were keeping me up, so in the end nobody got any sleep. I just have to buy a quilt or some kind of blanket because it is pretty cold at nights and I fear my month-long cold will return if I'm not too careful.

Anyway I think that's about it for now. I'm still wondering if I should buy a camera so I can document my journey visually, but if I'm going to buy one I want it to be really good quality. Same issues as with the TV/Movies. If I'm going to entertain myself it should be to the high possible standard I can have.

So long ya'll and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment