Tuesday, July 1, 2003

The hate swells up inside me more every day

I woke up today wondering what I was going to do at work today. I am now sitting here doing nothing at all, except editing the stupid manual again. The dumb thing is that other people in the department are writing manuals for the same thing I'm doing, but they are way more technical because they understand the software. I don't know how I will get through 2 more months like this, something has to give soon.

On Friday we had a little party to inaugerate the new hall across the street. It's pretty much a big warehouse where they put machines together and test them out. There are also some offices at the top with a nice view into the main area, if that is your definition of a nice view. There was some speeches at the beginning by some of the head people, including the boss of the company. He's not the big boss of teamtechnik, just of this particular location. He showed a bunch of statistics and stuff and how the company's growing. Some other guy also mentioned all the new workers since the last time they had an assembly, and I was mentioned as someone from Canada doing a practical course. WHAT?? They don't even know what I'm doing here, I thought at least somebody knew. Oh well I guess I'm the most expendible person in the company. That just confirmed my usefullness to me, and I felt even worse than usual. He also mentioned that internet use at the company will have to decrease, so we are only allowed to surf during our lunch break now. That's ok I guess, but I think I will die without a constant stream of internet all day. Then we got free beer and food, but I just ate some food and then left. It was raining like crazy, but the rain here in Germany is pretty weak compared to real rain that we know, I barely even felt it!

Gas is so expensive here I noticed the other day. About €1.15 per litre, which is about $1.70. That's crazy, so most people have diesel cars, except even that fuel costs more than our gasoline. Cars also seem weaker here, even though there are steeper and more frequent hills to get over! Sometimes I'm walking and I hear a weeny engine behine me, expecting a Mini or something. But then I turn around and it's a huge van! I don't know how they do it seriously.

The reason why I don't have any work is mostly my fault though, now that I look at it. I'm too afraid to confront my manager about more work, because I like taking it easy. But there is a limit to how easy you can take things, especially if you are milking your work to every last drop. I'm afraid that the new work will be hard stuff, and I will actually have to think about something. I am sort of on vaction from work, and they think I'm doing a practical course here instead of really doing something. I was supposed to prepare a list of problems I found in the program, as well as topics that needed descriptions. That was done more than a month ago, and I still haven't showed it to anyone. I'm too chicken to go out of my little comfort zone, and I think it will cost me big time once my manager finds out I've been doing nothing but generating fake work all over June. I'll just wait and see what happens like always.

Well that's all of my boring life for now. There's really not much more to tell. Life sucks, and will only go downhill from here... now it's back to taking it easy and pretending to be doing something useful! weeeeeeeeeeeee

-Jack 'a' Ninny

1 comment:

  1. The posts don't get better... this was the beginning of my downward spiral in Germany. I remember this time vividly, being more alone than ever before, not having a single person around me that cared at all. I was crying out for help and nobody reached out to me. I began to despise society and humankind in general. The mundane tasks and the monotony of everyday life was getting to me pretty badly at this point, and I still had 2 months left to go! If I could go back in time and warn the Joram from 5 years ago, I'd tell him to quit the job and just journey around Europe for the next 2 months, because he would never have a chance like this for the rest of his life!!

    I was pretty stupid, and sadly, I don't think I have learned much at all since then. I wonder when this sense of apathy and restlessness will ever end...

    -j

    ReplyDelete