Thursday, July 24, 2003

Good thing the emailing has stopped...

...because there is nothing really new to report. I am bored as always, taking it easy at work every day. But this week has been different. My bosses have been starting to pay attention to me, realizing that I have been without work for a long time now, and tomorrow I will have a discussion with one of them concerning this fact. At least I think that's why... there might be some other things that might be addressed, such as my anti-socialite behaviour, and my general disconcern for everything around me. But we'll see, it should definetely be an eye-opening experience for me. Either the Germans completely retaliate once they realize their employees are doing no work for money, or they work out an agreement that benefits for all. Either way I'm really nervous about tomorrow, because I really have no excuses why I've been doing nothing but surfing the Internet for the last couple of weeks.

The worst part about work is seeing all my colleagues doing important work around me while I do nothing. I could really be helpful in many situations, but they somehow don't want to include me in their projects. It is also my fault for not talking to anyone, but I can't put the blame squarely on myself. There needs to be some communication to move things forward, IMO.

My family as of today is gone on vacation. They were staying with my grandparents the last 2 weeks but now they are headed to Austria and the Czech Republic, to visit friends and family and also to just relax. That's just my parents and my little brother, who I'm sure will be a lot of fun to have around. 8-year-olds can get on ones nerves and I'm glad he'll be gone the next 2 weeks. They will come back again during the first week of August with my sister, who has been singing in a choir for the last week. Some people get all the fun... but at least I'm making some money out of doing nothing all day.

I have started to get addicted to Internet purchases. I throw my Credit Card number around like it's a frisbee. I have spent upwards of $1000 already on all sorts of crap, ranging from DVDs to games to LEGO, of all things. Yes, the childhood plaything that I so loved back then, it has come back with a vengeance in the form of a cool Lego Racers F1-racecar. It is modelled after the Williams/BMW F1 car, and at 1483 pieces it costs about $200 CAN!! Calling me stupid and crazy for purchasing it is an understatement. It was an impulse purchase. My main problem with buying stuff online is that I buy from the most obvious choices, instead of looking for deals. This has probably cost me 100s of dollars in the past, and will be my downfall later in life (ie. buying a car or a house). I'm just really terrible with handling money, I guess.

Now that July is almost over, I am afraid of what August will bring. Perhap (gasp!), actual work? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that possibility, but as I said before, only time will tell what is in store for me. One thing for sure is that if there are no more entries from now on, I am either really busy or have been laid off. Those are the only two options I can see now with my limited vision.

Well I'm sorry this post hasn't been so entertaining, it is mostly for me anyway, being the selfish individual that I am, as a guide post of what the situation was like on this day. All my posts are a sort of mural of my bleak life here in Germany, and my slow progress towards insanity. I wish they never would have given me this stupid documentation-editing job, because what I did with the work I did very poorly. First of all, I don't understand the software that the documention is for. Secondly, my grasp of written technical German is very poor, and the additions I made are embarrassing to read even by me. I can tell when something is written well or not. If you contrast my stuff with what was already there, it is very easy to see what stuff I wrote and what the previous guy wrote. So in short, it's a hack job.

I think that's all I can think of for now. Sometimes I think I'm in the movie Office Space, because I have all these bosses over me I don't even know who to answer to anymore. On a final note I hope that things get better from now on, in the last stretch before I come back home to reality. At least I have unlimited bandwidth and a faster connection to look forward to once I get back, I'm glad Bell changed their ways!

-J.A.N.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha sad little Joramee. Funny thing is, there was no follow up to this post. I don't remember what kind of talk I had with my boss, if any. They pretty much ignored me at that company until I was gone. It had a lot to do with laziness, having no balls to ask for more work, and just all around apathy. I love that word! It's also one of my favourite Tea Party songs. How I miss that band...

    -j

    ReplyDelete