Thursday, August 21, 2003

The last message from Germany

Well this is my last journal entry for this month, as well as the last one from good old Deutschland. That is because the last few days will be hectic, finishing all the things I left for the last minute! I guess I will always be a last-minute-type-person for the rest of my life, if things keep going the way they are.

I finally got some new stuff to do, but it's not "new" per se, it's just that the program I was writing a help file for got a major overhaul, which means taking new screenshots, adding new HTML directories, and basically shuffling a lot of things around. It's definetely busy work, and I technically shouldn't be even writing this update because I need to get to work!

My manager left yesterday for his holidays, so I won't see him anymore. He was an ok person, just too busy most of the time and really awkward to talk to. Things just didn't gel very well between us it seemed. But the Germans are really careful when it comes to criticizing somebody's work, so he never actually told that I was doing a lousy job, he just kinda gave me a vibe like that. He said maybe we'll see each other again sometime in the future (ie. when/if I get a position in the company), but he didn't sound too confident in that.

The head boss guy gave me a job this week for the first time, it was just translating a document into English. Problem was, that it was edit-protected, so I couldn't change any of the writing. So we had to call up some lady and make her take off the protection. Wow how boring can life get... but I don't understand why I'm getting all the busy work AT THE END, why couldn't they find stuff for me BEFORE??? That irks me just a little bit.

I did not go see Terminator 3 and probably won't. Even though Arnie is speaking his native German in it, it's not actually him. They got some other actor to dub the voice of Arnie who can speak German very well! I don't get it, but it must be some licensing issues. Or money issues. I know this because I saw commercials for it when I was at my uncle's, and that was definetely not his voice.

I have looked at my bank records for the last 2 months and about $2000 has left my bank account in that period of time. Yikes. That's all I have to say about that. I know I spent a lot but I wish the summaries were more verbose, so that I could tell exactly what I bought with the money, instead of just telling me the store name. I thought banks were supposed to be cutting-edge these days.

I have really lost my sense of humour these last few days. I can't really laugh anymore, I'm starting to get the shakes. Why? Well I'm afraid I'm going to die... for real this time. It all started last week when I noticed some odd bumps on the back of my neck. Every day there were more bumps, now there are like 7 there. I have no clue what they are and I asked some people, who told me I should have a doctor check it. Unfortunately, health care is not free over here so I can't just do that without shelling out huge coin. Anyway, the bumps seem to go along a major artery on the left and right side of my head, and they are evenly spaced from my colar bone to the middle of my head. I'm really scared about this, I hope it's not an incurable desease or something, that would truly suck. And the last few days they have started to hurt a little as well, when I move my head around a lot. So that is why I can't come up with funny things to say anymore, because I am afraid I am living the last few moments of my life!!

Well that's it. I just have to wait about 2 weeks from now until I'm on my way home, back to reality I guess I could say. In school I have a huge design project to look forward to, with a bunch of people who I don't really know their work ethic... so it could be interesting. Also the Christian camp next week will probably suck, because they do things like sports there.

If this turns out to be my last message ever, I just wanted to say thanks to the peeps who emailed and messaged me over ICQ over the summer, you really kept me on the sane end of the spectrum. I'm glad we had the contact, it's something you take for granted until you are far away and alone. Yeah that sounds so cheesy I know... also my sister told me my computer's broken, another thing I get to look forward to when I come home. Weeeeeeeee.

see ya'll LATA (or in the afterlife?)

-Joram Andreas Nowak

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I'm always so paranoid going on planes, I think I will die on them, because I'm so helpless and not in control in that situation. But I'm sure I share this fear with a lot of people. So I wrote that note as if it was my last ever... sort of lame I guess. ICQ is a thing of the past now, boy how times have changed in just 5 years. And back then I still had a lousy pentiumIII and I thought it was the best thing in the world... I even thought divx movies were the end-all and be-all of digital movie distribution, but I had no idea about HDTV and all these huge GIGABYTE media formats that would be thrust upon the world later on.

    -j

    ReplyDelete